5 Things to Understand About Homeowners Insurance
- Look for exclusions to coverage. For example, most insurance policies do not cover flood or earthquake damage as a standard item. These coverages must be bought separately.
- Look for dollar limitations on claims. Even if you are covered for a risk, there may a limit on how much the insurer will pay. For example, many policies limit the amount paid for stolen jewelry unless items are insured separately.
- Understand replacement cost. If your home is destroyed you'll receive money to replace it only to the maximum of your coverage, so be sure your insurance is sufficient. This means that if your home is insured for $150,000 and it costs $180,000 to replace it, you'll only receive $150,000.
- Understand actual cash value. If you choose not to replace your home when it's destroyed, you'll receive replacement cost, less depreciation. This is called actual cash value.
- Understand liability. Generally your homeowners insurance covers you for accidents that happen to other people on your property, including medical care, court costs, and awards by the court. However, there is usually an upper limit to the amount of coverage provided. Be sure that it's sufficient if you have significant assets.
Flood Insurance Please note that if you live in coastal areas or close to rivers you might be in a socalled flood zone, lenders will require you to buy flood insurance. Besides the government program there is now private insurance available now and it is recommended to compare prices.
Let the experienced Realtors of Florida-Online-Realty assist you to find the right house.
Give us a call at 813-641-3339 or contact us by e-mail or by using the form below.
Back to Information for Buyers
Information for Sellers
P. O. Box 3339
Apollo Beach, FL 33572
Phone: (813) 641-3339
Fax: (813) 200-3436